Sacramental Life at San Pablo
Thursday, July 28, 2022
Baptism and Confirmation Sponsors
(God Parents) per Canon Law
There have been questions about what is required to be a Godparent or Confirmation Sponsor. The information below is from the Code of Canon law.
Title I Baptism
CHAPTER IV. SPONSORS
- Can. 872 Insofar as possible, a person to be baptized is to be given a sponsor who assists an adult in Christian initiation or together with the parents presents an infant for baptism. A sponsor also helps the baptized person to lead a Christian life in keeping with baptism and to fulfill faithfully the obligations inherent in it.
- Can. 873 There is to be only one male sponsor or one female sponsor or one of each.
- Can. 874 §1. To be permitted to take on the function of sponsor a person must:
- be designated by the one to be baptized, by the parents or the person who takes their place, or in their absence by the pastor or minister and have the aptitude and intention of fulfilling this function.
- have completed the sixteenth year of age, unless the diocesan bishop has established another age, or the pastor or minister has granted an exception for a just cause.
- be a Catholic who has been confirmed and has already received the most holy sacrament of the Eucharist and who leads a life of faith in keeping with the function to be taken on.
- not be bound by any canonical penalty legitimately imposed or declared.
- not be the father or mother of the one to be baptized.
- §2. A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic ecclesial community is not to participate except together with a Catholic sponsor and then only as a witness of the baptism.
Title II The Sacrament of Confirmation
CHAPTER IV. SPONSORS
- Can. 892 Insofar as possible, there is to be a sponsor for the person to be confirmed; the sponsor is to take care that the confirmed person behaves as a true witness of Christ and faithfully fulfills the obligations inherent in this sacrament.
- Can. 893 §1. To perform the function of sponsor, a person must fulfill the conditions mentioned in can. 874.
- §2. It is desirable to choose as to sponsor the one who undertook the same function in baptism.
Source: Book of Canon Law, Book IV. Function of the Church.